Sunday, October 9, 2011

Autism Unemployment

                                                 http://kidcompanions.com/archives/5896
    Today I went to the Walk for Autism at the Freeland Sports Zone center. As I was making laps with a friend of mine who had autism I noticed that he was walking slower than everyone else and that he wasn't really sure why we were walking. Then I looked to another friend of mind who is autistic and noticed that he knew exactly what was going on. He was practically racing around the track compared to everyone else. In fact, he was on lap 30 when my friends and I were only on lap 10. I also noticed some of the children with Autism who could barely do one lap around the gym. This does not make anyone of these children on less value. This just made me realize how every child with autism really is different in their own way.
   When walking around each lap there were signs of sponsors on the side or the track with facts about autism. One sign that especially caught my eye was the one that said "Unemployment rate for individuals with Aspergers Syndrome is 88%" I never really thought about how difficult it would be for one with Autism to become employed. Is it because they can't do things that others might be able to do, or because they don't want to be looked at or treated differently, or is it even because the owner of the business would not accept someone with special needs? Any of these reasons are ob sured. Although some people with autism may act different there is always a job that they are capable of doing, whether it is organizing tables at a restaurant, or even fixing a computer. I believe everyone is capable of having a job it just takes the time to look for one that might be right for you. This process may not be easy but it is definitely worth the shot. I think that all these children need is motivation and hope because with a little bit of it the world becomes a better and happier place. Where could you go wrong in being friendly and caring towards another? You can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment